Friday 1 July 2016

Introducing Laura Màrr

Well my friends, it’s time for me to say goodbye. This job with the Gaelic Council of Nova Scotia has been outstanding, but it’s time to move on and make room for the new. Her name is Laura Màrr, and she’s going to be taking over this blog and all of the social media work that we do at Comhairle Na Gàidhlig. You might have already met her. She’s been with us since April and has attended a number of events already.

“It’s been such a positive experience. I loved visiting the Celtic Collection at St.FX, and the milling frolic at the Central Library during Gaelic Awareness month. I’m really looking forward to taking more trips to Cape Breton and going to more events across the province as they happen throughout the summer. I really look forward to just traveling around the province and being involved. I like having a constant change of scenery.”

She certainly does. Laura has been all over the shop. “My parents are from different places in Nova Scotia and my father had a business that required us to move around a lot.”

She’s lived in Halifax, the Valley and a few other places in the province. Those early experiences of travelling throughout the province have played a part in her current interest and engagement in Gaelic culture. “I started to do some research into my family history and I found out that I had connections to this culture and language existing right here in my own backyard. It’s such a large piece of the cultural mosaic.”

Today Laura is completing a degree in Anthropology with a double minor in Classical and Irish studies at the university of St. Mary’s. Laura has also studied Scottish Gaelic at SMU through the Irish studies department. It was through this department that Laura was able to spend a semester studying Irish Gaelic in the Gaeltahct of Connemara, after which time she stayed across the pond to travel extensively throughout Ireland and Scotland. She has also been taking Scottish Gaelic classes at Sgoil Ghàidhlig an Àrd-bhaile in Halifax.

“I study mostly linguistic and socio-cultural anthropology. Linguistic anthropology is linguistics with a cultural element to it; it is the study of how language influences social life, the study of people and their language. And socio-cultural anthropology is everything to do with the inter-play between culture and people. I find that the linguistic and socio-cultural aspects of my studies are really tying in well with the language revitalization efforts that are going on here in Nova Scotia. I love the way that my work with the Council is bringing me into direct contact with my studies.”

Laura is also a classically trained cellist who can also be heard playing guitar and providing some vocals in her band, Ulvesang. With such a diverse background encompassing both personal and academic interest in the language and culture, travel experience, and artistic influences, I had to ask Laura what readers might expect from our blog once she takes it over.

“I would really like to surround myself with people who are involved in the arts and music. To learn more about what they do and add a musical/cultural/artistic aspect to the blog. Also, highlighting the success stories of the people who are revitalizing Gaelic language and culture in Nova Scotia—even if it’s not directly through language and through the other cultural aspects like music and art. It’s gong to be great to pick up this blog and continue working on it with a focus on these cultural areas.”
 
In the last six months my time working with Comhairle na Gàidhlig  has given me a much greater appreciation for what that means—to be a “Nova Scotian.” This job has allowed me to met so many wonderful, interesting, intelligent and hilarious people who are constant reminder that what we have here in Nova Scotia is a living culture on the rise.

I’ve had the opportunity to travel to places and events that I would have completely missed out on: The Gaelic College up in Cape Breton, where I spent a weekend learning and laughing with Cailean Dòmhnullach, Daibhidh MacFhraingm and Goiridh Dòmhnullach. The CASNA conference at StFX where I met men and women who are pushing the boundaries of current Gaelic and Celtic scholarship. The Growing a Creative Economy Conference in Membertou, Cape Breton where men and women with diverse backgrounds shared ideas and models for building sustainable and joyful lives right here in the province and the powerful role that culture can play in that endeavor.
For years now this Gaelic experience has been happening in my backyard and I’m so happy to have finally joined in the fun.

Laura, you’re up! J
Gach deagh dhùrachd / Every good wish!



1 comment:

  1. Brendan, thank you so much for all you have brought to our Gaelic Community in your 6 months with us. I can confidently speak for the Board when I say it was great having you on the Team. Tapadh leat gu mor agus Beannachd Leat, Tonya

    ReplyDelete